Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Player freezes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
...when playing WMV files with 2020Kb bitrate.

It starts OK, then either stops about 5 mins into the file, or if I try to fast forward/reverse pause/play or even resize the WMP window.

The only way to play that file then is a full reboot.

Windows Media Player 9
ACER Travelmate
Intel Core2 Duo
252Mb Graphics accelerator card
1 Gb RAM
XP Pro SP2

Chris

So you ride yourselves over the fields,
and you make all your animal deals,
and your wise men don't know how it feels...

Ian Anderson

Is there anything currently preventing you from upgrading Windows Media Player to version 11? If not, I would suggest upgrading to the latest version WMP. While your at it, I would just go ahead and take your computer to Windows Update and grab all the latest updates including SP3. This will insure that you get all the latest DirectX updates that will help with the playback of multimedia files. Also, check for updates from Intel's website for the latest Graphics Media Accelerator software and check for updated sound card drivers from Acer's website as well. Here are some links that will help you in troubleshooting problems with WMP. The first link below is especially full of useful information dealing with WMP.

- Windows Media Player: WMP mini FAQ

- How to troubleshoot playback in Windows Media Player 9

- Information about the Multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports

- Download details: Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Thanks Joey [bigsmile]

Downloaded WMP 11, sorted. Simple [2thumbsup]

Have a STAR for such a simple, useful reply!

MeGustaXL,

How is WMP11 working for you? Let me know if you have any questions. Props to IllogicallyLogical for the great fix.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back