Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Player 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilBob

Technical User
Jul 25, 2008
US
My grandson was over the other day visiting & asked to use my PC. I forgot I hadn't logged off as administrator (DUH!) and he decided to upgrade my version to 11. My New Year's resolution was to clean out some old apps I didn't use, files I no longer needed & do a complete backup. MP11 won't allow me me to remove it. I ran Revo uninstaller but MP11 is still here. M$ Add/Remove shows it listed & when I tell it to remove that app, it tells me it will roll it back to a previous version, says it was successful, but it still exists on my HD as MP11. I don't want to roll it back, just delete it. It won't even allow me to re-install my previous version. I didn't have this much trouble uninstalling Norton (another resource hog). Any ideas?

Bob

Have you tried a system restore to a point before your grandson "upgraded" your WMP?

Cheers.

What probably happened is that once it was installed, the uninstall information was deleted, e.g. CCleaner (when Hotfix Installs is checked)...

I would just ignore it, and leave it on the drive, just not use it... I would use a less resource hungry app to replace it, like VLC - ... it will play almost any type of video/music that you will find out there... once installed you can assign any video and audio files to VLC and when you click on an AVI or even DVD then VLC will spring into action instead of MPlayer...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

If System Restore doesn't do it for you, and you have no backups to revert to, try these suggestions.

"Rolling back to a previous version of the Player"

Readme for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP

A repair install might be an option as that removes all installed updates, hopefully including WMP 11?

If you never use Windows Media Player you could always completely remove it from the system. Open up Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components, then uncheck Windows Media Player and hit Next to uninstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back