Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Player 11 Crashes PC whilst Ripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenman

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
GB
Whilst ripping my CDs to hardrive computer with WMP 11 it runs for about 3/4 tracks then shuts down the PC abruptly, no messages. I have run Windows Task Manager whilst ripping and it shows CPU Usage as a 100% dropping down in between tracks and then increasing. After each re-start it rips 2/3 more and closes again. I am not running any other programmes whilst carrying this out.
I am running XP.

Anyone have any ideas?

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back