Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME, (yes I know it's dead) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DShirleySB

Instructor
Dec 8, 2002
US
My kid's computer with Window ME on it changed so that when booted, the screen looks like it is in safe mode even though it is not. It will not use a ball or laser mouse.

Starting in safe mode will allow the use of the ball or laser mouse and the programs.

This computer has A LOT of pictures of my kids that can't be lost. Also, it is the only computer that I have that has Microsoft Publisher on it and it still works in safe mode.

I may have the original disks that came with the unit but want to know how to install them without losing any of the above items.

Or, can the drive be taken out of the unit it is in and put in my Windows XP Home, Service Pack 3 computer as a scond master or slave drive and used?

I tried this once but could not get the Publisher program to work.

While in Safe Mode, Try running ScanDisk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

See if you can create a MS-DOS Startup Disk (which you have to boot from) from the options available when you right-click on the Floppy Drive, select Format and look for the Create Startup Disk. Use this to run ScanDisk.

To do a repair you install ME over itself, backup your data first to whatever media you have access to (a precaution), but it should be safe during the upgrade (repair) install. To get your data off you might be able to use USB or a camera's drive, forget about floppies except for the most valuable data. Putting the ME drive in your other machine and saving the data that way may be easier?

Windows ME reinstall.

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP

Repair XP After 98/Me Install

Dual boot to 98 after installing XP first
thread779-284874

Windows ME forum

Type - Getting older programs to run on Windows XP - in the Help and Support program for the basics.

You can set compatibility mode for earlier systems.

However not all old programs will work in XP no matter what compatibility mode you select. It does seem to be a matter of trial and error.

How to use Windows Program Compatibility mode in Windows XP

Windows ME has System Restore too, that should be accessible from Safe Mode.

You could let the system reload the drivers. This was a 9x/ME fix for blown drivers. Run "regedit", scan down to HKLM, highlight ENUM, use edit and delete.
On reboot the hardware enumerator will find the hardware and re-insert the required drivers into the system.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

>This computer has A LOT of pictures of my kids that can't be lost

When you do get your PC back up and running ... make sure you take a backup of all your important files

Since you have data on that drive that you want to make sure doesn't get lost, I heavily recommend you slave the drive to another computer and create a backup. For all you know, the hard drive could be failing.

Once you get the important stuff copied over, then put it back in the original PC and try to fix it. At least then you can rest assured that your data is safe.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back