Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME to 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

StressedTechie

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
GB
Just a quick message really asking for any tips or problems that could be encountered.

I am about to upgrade a Windows ME laptop to Windows 2000.

Are there any known problems, Is it possible to bang a CD in and upgrade the OS and not worry about the apps and data.

Is it going to be easier to start from scratch, ie backup the data. Format the thing and then install 2000 and then reinstall the apps.

Just wanted some advice really

Cheers
Nathan

You would really be better off going from scratch. Less headaches that way. You can upgrade and install SP2 and have very few problems. You would keep all data intact and not have to reinstall.
But for stability reasons I suggest backing up data and installing Win2K. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I agree with butchrecon...firsthand (well, actually secondhand) experience this morning with upgrading from Me to 2000...the girl in the next cube upgraded from Me to 2000, then tried to upgrade from Office97 to Office 2000...PC is now totally hosed. Office97 will not uninstall OR reinstall, and she can only use Access or Excel. Besides that, the machine takes forever to do something (actually anything)...she is now in the process of wiping the disk and doing a full install of 2000...FYI only...

I'm the "girl in the next cube". Please start from scratch. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Machine is running like a champ now! Could have saved hours of trying to fix things that would not work. Good luck!

It is never a good idea to upgrade OS's. Always install a fresh copy on a clean hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back