Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME Running ScanDisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
While running ScanDisk, I've found that it takes about 6 hours to complete. Before running ScanDisk, I closed PC-Cillin, and ended tasks on everything but Explorer and Systray. This is on a Compaq 5600H, 850 CPU and 128M memory with a 40G hard drive. Should it take this long for ScanDisk to do its job? I have " used" less than 2 gigs of space on the hard drive. I hate to sound real dumb, but I am - why are all these programs running at start-up when I'm not using them. It's cumbersome having to C-ALT-DEL all of these rascals before I can run ScanDisk. Matter of fact, ending tasks on these programs does not seem to speed up ScanDisk at all. Can anyone help? Joseph Floyd ( Bo ) Glass Scandalbeater@msn.com

That sounds about right for W9x defrag. If you wan't to make the process faster install the ME defrag.

There are many fixes for W95/98 defrag , but the best is to install Windows ME defrag , very fast . Get it from here :

W9X-Me-Defrag

Download it right into your Windows directory. Rename your
current version of DEFRAG.EXE to DEFRAG.OLD, then rename
winme_DEFRAG.EXE to DEFRAG.EXE ( or whatever the old defrag
was named )
To put the defrag in it's correct place . Open Windows explorer , go down to Windows , left click on the yellow
folder , this opens the right hand panel .
Scroll down to defrag & write down the exact name . Next , right click on defrag , scroll down to rename & click on it . Now left click at the end of defrag & add the word old . So if you had the word defrag , it now becomes defragold .
Now rename MEdefrag to whatever you wrote down , drag & drop it on the yellow Windows folder or anywhere in the right hand side . Both achive the same thing & Windows will after you close , put it alphabetically.

As for the start up go to Start>Run> type in "mscongig"(without quotes)>click on OK>click the startup tab and uncheck any programs you do not wish to have run at startup, (you will still be able to start these programs from your programs file)click apply and you are set.
Hope this helps.

Scandalbeater ,
Do not try and run mscongig it's spelled wrong. Unless you know what your doing I would not try and shut down programs which load at startup. They (most of them) are required for your system to run.
Talk to a computer greek friend who knows about running msconfig on your system. He can help you go through the list of programs running and see which ones you can remove from startup. Note: remove from startup not from your system.
Enjoy
Shawn

it looks to me like scadalbeater asked about Scandisk and mhughes answered regarding defrag ---------- are we enjoying a slight tekkie miscommunication here?
i just ran Norton's version of Scandisk, (Diskdoctor) and it was fine even WITH a screensaver running. But Lord knows that for degrag you GOTTA shut off your screensaver and other interrupting programs.
......but, we're actually talking about Scandisk so ... where was I (lol)
I don't know, for that size hdd, if that's a long time, but it sounds long to me - you DO know, i imagine, that there are two Scandisk settings, standard and thorough, right? Thorough takes vastly longer!! For Thorough setting, that's not bad.
I bet that's it.
Hope it helps.
Mikl
bigpygme@earthlink.net

I'm agreeing with MiklK's presumption that it is set to "Thorough" instead of "Standard". And, I, too, was wondering where defrag came into this picture.

If scandisk is coming up at STARTUP it is because of a bad shutdown.

If you are manually requesting a scandisk, I'd suggest you make sure the the box for "Duplicate Names" is unchecked. This is located by clicking on the ADVANCE button and down the righthand column. This may also help reduce some time as well.

Just remember, the bigger the drive the more time is required for physical inspection. So the "standard" only looks at the beginning while "thorough" goes through every sector on the drive to the end. For 40Gs it sounds about right to me as well. --MiggyD

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Hi MiggyD. What a great signature. May I use it occasionally myself.

Also this seems to help with the problem I have been having. I tried to defrag after using Ashampoo cos I thought it would probably need it.
I am runnig winMe but I got a message defrag cant run because of bad disc sectors or something like that
Anyway it said to run scan disk which I tried to do in thorough mode.
this wouldnt work either. I really need to clean everything up. my system keeps doing peculiar things like disabling active desktop how did that happen I ask

Can anyone help sort me out please. I would also like to prevent some of the programs running on start up like there is a mouse icon and media player icons on the task bar. I presume these are not really necessary.
Appreciate anyone who can help.
thanks all you good techies out there.:)

Sure you can use it. I got it off a "junk" chain mail letter before I deleted it. I read them from time to time but [red]absolutely[/red] refuse to propregate them.

Now. Since I also have WinME, you may have this on your system and may be worth a shot.

START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM RESTORE.

Again, it's worth a shot. --MiggyD

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back