Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME Registry Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2004
US
I am trying to fix a Windows ME system for someone. Previously, I had to restore the registry from DOS in order for it to work again. Now it has happened again. I cannot boot into Windows. It brings me to safe mode and I get a VxD dynamic link call:vsdata95(01) 0002d1cc 0028 service error. I am not sure what is installed on the computer now.

From DOS, scandisk tells me I've encountered a data error while reading the FAT on drive c. I am unable to perform a scanreg/restore or fix. Scandisk always freezes at the same spot, 61% during the file allocation table check. What are my options at this point?

Registry errors in 9x/ME are often caused by bad hardware - commonly RAM - but could be any item.

I would slave the drive in another machine and run scandisk there. This should indicate if its really a drive problem or not. If it scans successfully, I'd start trying to find bad hardware (eg, if > 1 stick of RAM, run with each on its own. Then if that's not it, disconnect all expansion cards, unnecessary to boot drives etc. Swap out graphics card).

Boot floppy > fdisk /MBR. A drive has two MBR's (for safety). The first one is what you boot from, the second is not accessed - just for back-up. This command compares the two, and restores the first if it is bad.

Oops! i didn't see that you mentioned you did not know what is installed.

I'd bet ZoneAlarm was installed & is causing the problem. If so, see if you can uninstall it from Safe Mode, as the link recommends.

Good luck!
Doc

======================================

"Freely you have received, freely give." --Jesus

pcdoc4christ@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back