Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME - Oracle 8i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustman

Programmer
May 7, 2001
US
I'm enrolled in a class on Oracle. The textbook came with Oracle 8i and Oracle Developer 6.0. I installed the developer and then discovered that Oracle will not install on windows ME. First of all.. does anybody know if there is any work around to make it work with ME? If not.. how do I get the developer to uninstall? Everytime I try to uninstall it (using the Oracle Installer) it locks up and causes an error in MSVCRT.DLL. I've been trying over and over to uninstall it and still haven't had any luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. -Dustin
Rom 8:28

Hello Dustin,
I found something at

It seems that it worked for some people. I would like to try it out also it's just that I don't know what I have to do to modify the SET PATH. I would appreciate it if you could let me know how to do it in case you know.

Hope this helps

Anna

Hey thanks! I tried that and it worked like a charm. I didn't use msconfig, I just edited the files manually.

If you use the windows explorer, you can find the win.ini file in the windows directory (not the windows\system directory as told). Just right click on it and select open. It should open up in notepad, just scroll down till you see [compatibility95] and add Jrew=0x00080000 to the list. Save and reboot then you should be able to install.

After installation, use the explorer again and right click on the autoexec.bat file (c:\autoexec.bat), and select edit. You should find a line that says SET PATH= "C:\PROGRAM FILES\ORACLE\JRE\1.1.7\BIN", change it to SET PATH= C:\PROGRA~1\ORACLE\JRE\1.1.7\BIN (yes, do remove the quotes). Save the file, reboot, and enjoy!
-Dustin

I am really glad it worked.
Thanks for the detailed instructions!

Anna

Hi,

I am also facing problem in installing oracle 8i personal edition in Windows Me. I tried after changing win.ini. Even then I am getting the same error. The error message is "Jrew has caused an error in JAVAI.DLL. Jrew will now close". How to over come this problem?

Thanks & Regds,

Ruck.

Well, I have had mixed results. Some systems it will work on and some will not. I have had 2 or 3 people that said it wouldn't install at all. I didn't have a problem with developer but some of the server tools didn't work right. I finally had to give up on the server and just use the developer with an online connection to my schools oracle server. All of my developer tools seem to work with no problem except for SQL+. It runs fine until I try to close it.. then I get a kernal error in user.exe and have to reboot windows.

The bottom line is.. if there was a fix or a workaround that worked and could be described for every machine.. ORACLE would have released the info. I didn't do anything special other than the addition in the ini file and it seemed to install fine. Good luck!!

Beware though.. I have yet to see the uninstall work on any Windows ME machine. The only way I have found to remove it is to delete the files off of your computer and run a good registry cleaner. You can find one on zdnet.com or nonags.com.

-Dustin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back