Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME Logon won't go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spthomas

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
US
I never used to have to logon, since I'm the only user on my computer, unless I had the network card in when I boot, and then it would give me the logon screen. But now, every time I log on, networked or not, I get this logon box. And even when I'm on the network I don't require a userid, since it's a peer network and everything is controlled at the computer name level. And, if I don't at least enter a userid (which I just make up, since I don't have a userid defined), it won't let me in, unless I "cancel" thelogon box, and then I can't make it save the password for my dialup login, which it used to do in the dial-up networking panel.

I checked control panel, there are NO users defined. And I'm using "Windows Logon" as my primary network logon. And i deleted all the *.pwl files. And rebooted several times, and still I get the logon.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Try every step in this FAQ:

faq615-1553

*Note: Most items should be identical to ME, but some might be in different locations. Post back if you're having trouble with one or more of the steps.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Well, I did all that and it STILL gives me the logon box. Here's what I did:

1) Went to Start->Settings->Control Panel. Double-clicked Network. "Windows LOGON" was already the Primary Network Logon. And "All Users use the same profile" was checked.

2) Went to Start->Find->Files and Folders. Searched for *.pwl on the C: drive. There were none.

3) Went to C:\Windows and opened up system.ini in Notepad. Removed all lines under [Password Lists].

4) Went to Start->Settings->Control Panel. Double-clicked Passwords. Went to the User Profiles tab. Made sure "All users share the same preferences..." was selected (it was).

5) Emptied the recycle bin and reboot.

Still got the login box. Checked registry for the autologon line, but none was there.

Now I'm REALLY getting confused!

=Steve=

When you got the login box again after Step 5 (rebooting), did it look any different? The reason why I ask is that you're supposed to see a login box, where leaving the password field empty and hitting OK should get rid of it for good.

No, it's the same login box after I did everything suggested. And, if I don't put a login name in it, it won't let me past the login. I can put a login name in, or I can cancel. But I never put a password in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back