Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows ME install over 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

machoosh1

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
CA
i have 98se and i just got my hands on windows ME upgrade, can i just load it overtop of 98se and it well overwrite 98 ? and is it worth it ?

Yes, it will go over the top of 98. But, as in most cases, a fresh install would be better.
Not that much difference in operation and you'll find lots of comment on the web that it a problem OS.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

If your 98 is running okay, why change? No benefit to going to ME. ME will run fine if its a cean install, and you keep it spyware and virus free. But upgrades to ME rarely go right, you not only upgrade existing problems, but you often find new ones.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

The only real benefits associated with going from 98SE to ME is slightly better USB support and System Restore (which can actually tax a system slightly more than 98 did).

Other than that, both OS's are nearly identical. Also, performing an upgrade will allow ME to inherit the problems your 98SE install might already have, particularly throughout the registry since not much will change. A clean install as the others have mentioned is often the best route to take, though you will have to reinstall all of your apps and backup data.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back