Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME/98 and CAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacekp123

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
CA
Hi,
Is it true that connecting from WinMe/98 workstation to Citrix Server 1.8 the user takes one license from available license pool and there is no way to return this license back to the pool ?
I heard that this is not the case with Win2000 Pro workstation. Is there any remedy for this kind of problem ? Let's say the technician comes to your office, connects to your citrix and then walks away with one license on his laptop (with Win98 on it) ? How to put this license back to the pool ?

Any help will be appreciated.
Regards,
Jack

This is not true as far as Citrix licenses are concerned. A license is used up for each individual session, but not left on a client device.

The only type of licensing I know of that acts in this way is Windows 2000 licensing - but this also affects Win9.x machines as well as ME.

I hope this helps

Hi!

The thing you have heard about is called TS-CALs and are Terminal Services Client Access Licenses that are required and machine specific for all client machines that connects to a W2k Terminal Services enabled server that has NOT w2k prof as client OS.

Conclusion:
Server is w2k (Terminal Services wether using Citrix or not).
Client OS is w2k prof (connects via RDP OR ICA), then the TS-CAL is included with the OS license.

Client OS is something other than w2k prof (connects via RDP OR ICA) a TS-CAL is required.

The TS-CAL licens has got nothing to do with Citrix licensing as Citrix licenses the concurrent usages of ICA protocol between the client and the server.

Licensing is a jungle...

I bet my behind that µ-soft will have the same setup with their .Net servers to other OS's than XP clients as the above explanation.

Hope to have cleared this out somewhat.

//Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back