Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows me - 16 colours only

Status
Not open for further replies.

ypct

Technical User
May 27, 2002
NZ
since installing windows me i can only use 16 colours there is no other choice in control panels for millions of colours ... can anyone help????

Go into Settings, Control Panel, System, under the tab that lists all your devices by connections (just don't select that option), remove your Video and then restart... Windows Me should reload the drivers specific to your video card...

However, if this doesn't work, you need to find a new driver from your video card's manufacturer homepage (they should have new drivers for the Me by now) and download it and install...

Hope this helps

Roy
aka BanditWk

Only remove your video if you're absolutely sure you have the drivers for it. Not every video card will reinstall automatically if the .INF file isn't found by the OS.

If you go to "Control Panel -> Display -> Settings tab" and click the Advanced button, you should be able to tell if you have the right "Adapter" and "Monitor" installed. If you're not sure, let us know.

Sounds like you probably have a standard driver under the adapter tab...

To cdogg
thanks for your help your were right i have got a standard driver under the adapter tab and i don't have the appropriate driver...my monitor is a KTX 14" and i have searched the net but can't find one!!!!

Sorry ypct, I've been on vacation the past week and was able to stay away from the net the entire time!

mrfixit was sending you on the route to install the monitor driver, not the adapter driver. The right adapter is what you need. You'll want to first find out what video card you have installed in the system (not the monitor). You might need to contact the vendor to get this. Once you know what you have, you can probably download the correct drivers from the net somewhere (usually the vendor's website).

Most monitors work fine with the generic "default" or "plug & play" drivers, so you shouldn't need to worry about that...
ck_blk@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back