Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows master server pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2003
US
I will be building a new master server and I'm considering the windows platform. For anyone who has a windows master server can you share your experiences? It would be greatly appreciated.

My current master server is unix (running datacenter 4.5 fp6) and it will be used for HP-UX 10.20 clients moving forward.

Use to be that UNIX was the best way to go. Now however, it is just a preference. I still like UNIX because I understand it and it is easy to write scripts and to do NetBackup functions via the command line. But if your a GUIgirl then it shouldn't make any difference :)

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and thats the truth

FWIW I have Storage Domains with both types of Master Servers and I require fewer reboots for the UNIX Master Servers than I do the Windows Servers. If someone said I could keep my Sun v880 or my IBM xSeries Windows Master Server, I know which one I would keep and it would not be the Windows Server. Windows seems to leak system resources (mainly memory) more than my Solaris Server. As always your mileage may vary.

The biggest pro for UNIX is you can put together exclude lists very easy while in Windows it is done via each client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back