Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Machine Check Error Generated on Sun V40z

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsp1965

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
CA
Folks, we currently run a variety of Sun AMD servers running Windows 2003 Recently the Windows eventlog on the server recorded a Machine Check error as follows;

"The machine check event reported is a corrected error"

As per MS this indicates that the CPU may be failing. Unfortunately there are no Windows based diagnostics for the Sun server and I can't remotely reboot the server using the Diagnostic CD. I wanted to know if the error is corrected, or should I just contact Sun to get the CPU replaced
This event has only happened once in the last two years the server has been in operation
Any thoughts? Thank you.

As far as I can see, the error is corrected, so all is well for now. However, it might well be that this is a symptom of a failing CPU, so I'd monitor it and if it happens again, report it to Sun (I take it you have maintenance?). Of course this approach runs the risk that the next error won't be corrected and you may lose some or all of your system - in that event I guess it's a judgement call as to how mission critical this is to you. Good luck.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

I tend to agree with you Ken, better safe than sorry I figure.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back