Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Locks when IE is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingzope

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
US
A guy I'm working with is having this strange issue that whenever he closes out IE6 it his computer gets locked. When I say locked I mean windows key+L locked. No other app does this. We're not allowed to have IE7 or firefox on our network so that's out of the question.

Also I've googled and searched this site like crazy for the problem and came up empty. Any help would be appreciated.

The problem is happening on a XP2 SP2 Dell laptop. Thx.

Have you tried Safe Mode, to see if you can produce the same result?

Has there been any third party programs installed that might be causing this?

Make sure your options in IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced are correct.

Uncheck the boxes for "Install on Demand" for IE and Other programs (two boxes).

Try running temporarily with the third box "Enable Third Party Browser Extensions" unchecked and see how this goes.

"This specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve, you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off."

Is there a Reset Button on the Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced page that you can try?

Does it only happen on this one machine?

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Internet Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back