Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows locks file with user no longer there 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
When multiple people attempt to open a word document, Word reports that the file is in use; this is of course the expected behavior.

What is UNexpected is that it says that it is in use by a person who is no longer here.
They're not even in the system any longer... deleted from AD.

Any thoughts about THAT weird behavior? When I look at the open files on the server, it shows the correct person having the file locked, but any users who attempt to open the file, it reports this "ghost" user.

Thank you in advance!

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Im sure you have been down multiple roads here but this is one solution I dug up:
I had the same issue. This worked when accessing the files properties using win 7 Pro. I resolved it by right clicking on the file and selecting properties. Click on the details tab and then click remove properties and personal information. Select remove the following properties from this file. Then click on the box names last saved by. Click ok. I did this and the file started to display the proper user that had the file open

One other solution I ran across:

In the Shared folder or the File Server;

Open the folder where the Document is located.
Click Tools=>Folder Options
Click the View tab
Scoll down to Advanced Settings>Hidden files and folders
Select Show hidden files and folders and Unselect Hide protected operating system files
Look for a temp lock file and delete it. It should look something like ~$filename.xlsx or whatever file extension the it was saved in.
(In my case, this file had become corrupt and was stuck displaying an earlier modify date from a few days ago..)

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Nailed it, Bob.... there was a corrupted temp file. I just made sure everyone was out and blew them all out of the folder, and the issue resolved itself.

Thank you!

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Glad to hear you have it lined out. Was thinking it was likely tied to that temp locked file. I have seen Windows do some very strange things in my day. [pipe]

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back