Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows locking automatically....

Status
Not open for further replies.

act901

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
After several minutes of inactivity my computer locks and will prompt for the password again.
This first was occurring with my Novell login- it would give the following error...this workstation has been locked and can only be opened by the admin...which is me. Anyhow, I removed Novell and now the error comes up in Windows.
This must be somewhere in the system...
Any thoughts?
I am running windows 2k, professional.

thanks

does a screen saver come up when your computer locks? in win2000 pro you can set a password on the screensaver so that only the person logged into the workstation or the admin can unlock it when the screen saver comes on (after the set time). if you have this set, your computer will 'lock' after a specific amount of time and you have to supply your or the admin's password.

to check to see if you have this set:
-right click on the screen
-select properties (this will get you into display properties)
-select screen saver
-take the checkmark out of password protected (right below where you make your screen saver selection)

hope this helps!
ernest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back