Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Live Messenger 2011 Disconnecting / Reconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

D0ughnut007

Technical User
Mar 1, 2011
NZ
thread1583-1590102

Hi, with regards to the message thread above, did anyone find a valid workaround or the root cause for this? My issue sounds similar, though it could be technically different. Like the previous Author of thread1583-1590102, I googled around looking for similar WLM Connection failure stories.

I have WLM 2011 (Build 15.4.3502.922) running on my Windows 7 64 bit computer at home on a wireless home network. From an end user perspective, you can run WLM and for a short period everything runs as expected. And then WLM Disconnects and the program reconnects. I ran the usual Anti virus/Malware/Security risk checks (with the most up to date definitions available) and detected nothing. I also disabled all security related software to eliminate this as the cause of disruptions and the problem still existed (WLM connects and disconnects/cycle repeats).

I decided to run a wireshark capture on my PCs wireless network interface and coincidently just prior to the time of WLM disconnections, Wireshark capture discovered TCP retransmissions for PNG\r\n (filtering tcp.port == 1863) in relation to MSNMS protocol - retries for 5 attempts before a reset flag message is set. The PNG\r\n message is supposedly sent to a target WLM server (in my case is 66.4.44.77) as "stay alive messaging", however the network adapter did not receive any response. (hence I guess the reset).

Now there are a few things I have not done - such as capture a TCP dump at my gateway end, or test via a fixed wired network or test via a different ISP provider.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced the same, or has any suggestions if you think it could be an issue somewhere else. Your thoughts on the matter?

Cheers D (My first time post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back