Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows just keeps uploading something like crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandup

Technical User
Jun 7, 2003
RO
I just installed XP on a clean new system. I don't have automatic updates turned on (I checked it off), I don't have anything on this system, not even Office.

When I dial up, the connection status shows a constant upload - no programs are running, the task list is empty, and still it keeps uploading ALL THE TIME. After 30 minutes it had 15 MEGABYTES sent - to who?

What the hell is going on??

I assume you are looking at the status display from the network connection icon.

Update the driver for your NIC. Many of the original and early XP drivers misunderstood the specification and show bytes transferred instead of packets.

In addition to my question...

I'm connecting using dial-up (a Conexant softmodem).

Aside from the obvious suggestion "it's a virus dude" what could it be?

It could also be the Windows Update thingy. Do you have that enabled?

Definitely sounds like some kind of Malware.

Install a decent firewall (I recommend ZoneAlarm Free) and see what's asking for permission to access the net.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Sound like the nachi virus to me - try applying the RPC patches after cleaning the machine and before connecting to the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back