Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Installer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2001
JM
My friend gave me a PC to look at with an error that is new to me:

'The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.'

No applications can be installed on his PC. It is a Dell Dimension 2521 with a X2 4000+ / 1 GB RAM. / Vista Home Basic

I am planning to back up the PC and re-install, but I am curious as to what could be done to resolve this problem otherwise. How do you re-install Windows Installer? Is it some thing that can be downloaded?

Any thoughts? I am not really familiar with Vista...

Might be that you can re-register the Windows Installer service.

This page tells you how:

Worth a try before you backup and re-install possibly.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Is the Windows Installer Service disabled or missing from Services?

"Error 1719. The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to add or remove a program

Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable

If registering the Windows Installer Service fails to fix it try some of these.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Elevated Command Prompt by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP (or Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back