Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Installer Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogers

MIS
Jul 23, 2002
GB
Trying to install an app (Sage Line50 v9) onto a NT4 Terminal Server, and its having none of it :) Its quitting with "1601: Internal Error Occurred" then saying that i need to install a later version of Windows Installer. I've checked, and this server is actually on v1.1 of WI, and another TS we have is on v2 and the app installed fine on it.

I've downloaded the installer for v2 (InstMSIW.exe - ~1.7mb) but when i run this it claims that the installer service could not be started and then quits.

I've tried re-registering msi.dll as well as running msiexec /unreg and /regserver, but the problem still exists..!

anyone know of a way to get v2 on properly? :(

I've been having the same problem. However, I'm sure the answer is in the NT service pack, it needs SP6 before it can load version 1.2.
I think if you upgrade the SP your problem will disappear.

Silene

ah, id forgotten i'd posted this here :)

i found the answer to it- windows installer couldnt be updated via the terminal session, it had to be done on the console itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back