Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Installer error Upgrading to Director 4.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerDog

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
CA
I’m trying to upgrade IBM Director Server from 4.2.02 to 4.21 on a Windows 2000 server and I keep getting the following Windows Installer error:

“The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.”

I’m using the patch that the Director 4.12 documentation says to use; I downloaded it from the IBM site here:
Is anyone else having a problem like this?

Also, is it possible to uninstall IBM Director and install a new version without losing all my groups and event plans?

Does TWGSave.exe and TWGRestore.exe work with different versions of Director? Can I restore the info I saved from an older version to a newer one?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We have the same problem (trying to install the 2.41 patch on Windows 2003 server). Have you resolved this issue?

No solution yet, unfortunatley.

IBM thinks it might be because we upgraded our server from 4.12 to 4.2.02 instead of doing a fresh install. So the upgrade pachage might be seeing some old code from 4.12 and thinking the wrong version is installed.

I wouldn't mind just wiping the whole thing and installing from scratch but I need a way to keep the groups we have created. Any one know if I can export my groups to a file and then import them back to a new version?

I'll update this if I get any new info.

I just wiped the whole thing and installed fresh. The patch then installed fine for me. As for keeping the groups, I believe I just selected No when asked to delete the director configuration. Don't go by my word on that though...there probably is a better way.

You can export your groups to a file very easily, then import them after reinstalling Director.

If you right-click in the "Groups" pane in Director Console (don't right-click on any of the groups, just do it in the white space of the pane), the context menu includes "Export Groups..." and "Import Groups...". I've used it and it works quite smoothly.

Bon appetite.

guys, just for a sec, well, i can see youve been working with IBM director since early version. can somebody teach me how to do event actions , i will be using it for our blades, so i want to do somthing like a spare blade, so IBM director should be able to recognize a server down then if this event happened i want IBm director to push a clone image to another server. please help me how to do it step by step.. it would be big help .. thank!

A little late, but I also had the same problem. I just reinstall a newer version. Also, just in case anyone is curious, I am running 4.22 for 2 weeks yet without problem.

HTH - Stiddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back