Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility withdrawn by Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

linney

Technical User
Nov 5, 2001
AU
Microsoft are pulling the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility because of reliability concerns, or that it is only being made available in specific Fixit tools.

"This article was published under Q290301

Notice
This article previously contained a link to the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe). If you were directed to this article to solve a problem installing a product other than Microsoft Office, please contact your software manufacturer for installation support on the product.

While the Windows Installer Cleanup utility resolved some installation problems, it sometimes damaged other components installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool has been removed from the Microsoft Download Center. The Fix it Solutions in this article provide the ability to fully remove Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 suites without damaging other Windows components.

This article covers Office versions 2003, 2007 and 2010. Additionally, there is an article that covers steps to manually remove Office 2007.For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
971179 How do I uninstall the 2007 Office suites if I cannot uninstall it by using the "Add or Remove Programs" feature?"

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Replaced

Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Pulled

This is highly unfortunate, since I have used this tool several times (if it's the one I think), to clean up other MSI based install failures besides Office.

I'm waiting for the white paper entitled "Finding Employment in the Era of Occupational Irrelevancy

Download it now while you can still get it. That really is your only (Microsoft) option at times to fix uninstall issues when things are really fubar.

Of course they should FIX the utility and put it back out there, but they don't want to work on XP issues at this point in time.

Of course they should FIX the utility and put it back out there, but they don't want to work on XP issues at this point in time.

Indeed. I really don't see this as an XP issue, either, but a Windows Installer issue, and don't they use that in situations independent of operating system?

Maybe they see it as an Office-specific support tool, but really they need to take a wider view and fix the tool.

I'm waiting for the white paper entitled "Finding Employment in the Era of Occupational Irrelevancy

I could care less about fixing office specifically. I use it as a general tool when an app can't be uninstalled or is preventing the installation of another app.

I would have liked to be able to report the actual issue with the tool but I haven't found any specific reason given by Microsoft.

I do notice an increasing amount of "The windows installer service could not be accessed" questions in other Forums, mainly concerning Windows 7, and wonder whether this might be behind the withdrawal of the tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back