Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows installation woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickamus

MIS
Aug 4, 2008
TT
I had the 16 bit subsystem error on my Dell 5150, Windows XP Media center ver.2005. After much trials i decided that i would do a clean installation of windows to rectify the issue. In re-installing windows i choose Windows XP professional instead of XP media centre and i dont have an XP pro CD. I want media centre back but the installation process is in a hhung state as it is asking for the XP pro cd.
Can anyone assist me in re-installing XP media centre as i have the installation CD.
I can update afterwards.

How far into installing XP Pro did Setup go? Do you have Media Center on your hard drive, or did you format the hard drive prior to attempting to install XP Pro?

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

Do any of these apply?

See instructions at the end of this article.

316417 - "Setup Cannot Upgrade Some Settings" Error Message When You Reinstall Windows XP

How do you stop an unwanted repair of XP?
thread779-746800

Your suggestions worked, i formatted and re-installed windows, updated drivers etc. I'm back in business. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back