Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Hanging On Startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2004
US
Hi,
Any suggestions as to why a win 2000 client would be hanging at startup. It makes it through the screen where it's loading the os into memeory but when it has the message box saying starting windows it just freezes. I tried going into it though safe mode and it still freezes.

any suggestions...

Thx

Try this:

1) Use the last known good configuration to boot up
2) Try removing external devices (floppies, CD ROMS, audio cards, etc...
3) Try using the Windows 2000 CD to do a fast repair and see if that fixes your issue.
4) Reinstall

It could be anything from a bad file to a virus to some bad driver in the system.

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Hi
Check your Hard Disk too, it might be defective, as I did have same problem few weeks ago.

I did send out some new updates the night before through SUS. The weird thing is that it's not doing anything to the other systems which are windows 2000. Granted these are not all the same brand etc.

When it's Freezing or Frozen, have you given it time to see if it will clear up on it's own?

Hmmm. Cannot get to safe-mode either.

Sounds like you might have a Boot Sector prob, or a Hard drive dieing, or a bug that is planted into your startup and is freezing your system up in the attempt to complete it's task.

How new is the machine? Have you or are you willing to do a system restore. This above all should fix your problm and all your document files and programs should go untouched. ( But Backup if you can )

Boot the system with the Windows 2000 disk in the drive. When asked or if asked, select to boot from disk. As it loads drivers and such, it will eventually come up and ask if you want to repair or to re-install. I would do the re-install and just skip the warnings. After pressing F8 you'll get a screen that looks to the disk for a current OS. Once it finds it, it will again ask if you want to fix. HERE is where you'll hit "R". Then just let it go. After it's done, all your system files will be back to the copy on the disk, which means you'll have to spend a good part of your day, downloading the updates from M$T.

Good Luck, hope this helps out.

NetworkAdmin123,

See my notes here: thread616-821514

Your fundamental question is why is this happening. There is not a good answer at the moment for Win2k.

Best,
Bill Castner

Thx everyone.....I'm trying the fix from the thread bcastner gave me right now. I'll keep you posted.

-Ryan

For everyones info....I went into safe mode and uninstalled KB835732 and this fixed my problem....stay away from this hotfix for now

I just have to get my SUS to mind so it doesn't get reinstalled.

Thx Guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back