Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NelMo

MIS
Apr 19, 2001
GB
Strange one this! If I drag n drop a file or folder into another folder - windows freezes (does not even allow Ctrl-Alt-Delete!). Deleting using the 'Delete' key - windows freezes. Right clicking the recycle bin to empty it - windows freezes. However all other tasks i.e. opening folders and running files - no problem. ???
Thnx in advance

See if the same problems happen in Safe mode.

If so, then there may be a hardware problem.

It things work ok in Safe mode, then update your AV program, and do a virus search.
Also, run Ad-aware, Spybot, and CWShredder to remove any spyware.

If no luck, then do a clean boot to troubleshoot the problem:

If that does not help, then consider reformatting and reinstalling Windows.

Have you emptied your temp folder lately? It might be time to do some maintenance. Here's a little checklist:

-- Delete all temp files (c:\windows\temp\*.tmp, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp)

-- Delete temporary internet files (c:\windows\temporary internet files\*.*, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files)

-- If you use I.E., click on Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files, select "delete all off-line content", click OK

-- Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, Systems Tools, Disk Cleanup

-- Download AdAware ( ), check for updates, run it and remove whatever it finds

-- Download Diskeeper ( ) defrag

-- Download, update and turn on SpywareBlaster ( and SpywareGuard ( ) (or your spyware program of choice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back