Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Freezing on Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjs50

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm having some frustrating computer problems. First, my computer would first occasionally freeze or restart itself.

But then it started freezing on Startup (Black background portion). I decided to try and reinstall Windows and everytime it reached the point where it says 35% left in Installation, it would freeze again.

I then tried to reformat and try it again, but still the same error. I tried reformatting and see what would happen if I tried installing SUSE Linux, and that worked alright. So then I tried to reformat and install Windows 2000 Pro and upgrade to XP. That worked, but then crashed again while installing XP. I tried to reinstall Windows 2000 Pro, but then that started freezing.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Oh yes, I also tried putting in another Hard Drive which I knew was working, but that would not start up as well, saying it had stopped startup because Windows had spotted some sort of error.

I thought it was the hard drive, but then could it be a combination of problems?

Thanks,

KS

This sounds like bad, mismatched or incompatible RAM. If you have more than one stick try removing one at a time and see how it goes or there is an excellent free testing utility, Memtest, available at

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Thank you for your quick response.

I had 2 sticks of 256 MB DDR. I have taken each one out and tried using them separately and on their own. Still the same results.

If it was a memory problem, wouldn't it freeze at random spots. For my installations, it seems to freeze at the exact same time every install. Even for Windows 2000 Pro Install, it will freeze right after it has set up everything, and when it is configuring network devices.

And to correct one thing I had said earlier. When I did put a functional drive into my setup, I reported that the computer had problems with the hard drive. The actual error was a Stop 0x0000007B Error and upon research it is because my configuration is different than the computer from which i took out the drive. So, perhaps it is the hard drive?

Thanks,

KS

If the RAM is bad it may only freeze when put under heavy load. I would still try Memtest, its free so no harm done. Let it run for at least a couple of hours. It may also be your HDD, if you want to try another one partition and format it in your system first. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

it sounds more like a bios problem, have you checked the plug and play is enable and also you have no legacy irqs resevered, also windows does some times get "stuck" during installing, have you tried just switching off and then back on again, as in the GUI section of the installation part it somtimes hangs on irqs, hence check bios.
Check to see if you have no power management enabled also in the bios, sometimes a problem

Hello,

I am in the process of running the MemTest, I was hesitant to run it before because I could not even get windows to load up on any partition. Now I got SUSE Linux to load up, and set it up through that. But, I installed Linux before, and it messed up as well upon rebooting, it just showed "10" scattered all over the screen in an endless loop. But, will let you know what the test reports.

As for the other reply, I did restart it everytime it froze, it would start installing again, and then freeze up at the exact same spot.

Thanks,

KS

One of your pci/isa cards might be defect. Try removing all of your cards like modem,soundcard etc. . Leave only your video card inserted. Then format all partitions and install windows. If you install windows 2000 or XP reformat the drive to the NTFS file system. After you installed windows put in your cards one at a time.
If this doesn't help than your hard-drive must be corrupt or defect.

Good luck.

First, the MemTest worked fine. I left it running overnight and did not spot any errors.

Then, I did what you suggested, Kocky, and removed everything but the Video Card, and now when I put in the Windows Install CD, after it says, "Please wait so your hardware configuration can be tested", it goes black and the blue setup screen does not show up. I put in a functional hard drive, and the setup cd works fine on that.

Why would the Windows Setup stop functioning when all I've done is removed the accessory cards? Makes no sense.

More and more it seems like the hard drive. I'm worried about setting up Windows with my bad computer on the functional hard drive in case it corrupts that drive. Any chance of that or am I paranoid?

Now time to call the hard drive manufacturer, Western Digital and see if I can get a replacement just in case.

This stop error ( 0x0000007B ) is a common problem with Ultra 66/100/133 controllers, which need the appropriate drivers to work under Win2k/XP. Also, when upgrading to XP from Win2k, the driver usually needs to be updated. You have to press F6 at the right moment during setup, and insert the floppy with the appropriate drivers for setup to finish successfully.

What controller do you have on your motherboard ?

If you are not sure, let me know the motherboard model you have.

Try resetting the BIOS information to it's default setup. I used to do Windows 2000 Support for Microsoft, and that was a pretty common issue with it locking at 35% (or 39%). Sometimes when it is trying to finish setting up the machine it will lock up because of some setting in the BIOS. I doubt it will be a Memory issue if it always locks at 35%. If it were randomly locking up or giving blue screens and rebooting then it could possibly be a memory issue, but if it is always locking at 35% it is more than likely a setting in the BIOS causing the issue.

ToryG

Hello,

I think I have found the solution. It is the hard drive. I put in a functional hard drive and reformatted it in the computer and it worked fine.

So I have sent in the drive for an exchange and hopefully that should do it.

I want to thank everyone a lot for their help. This forum helped me isolate the problem.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back