Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Folder Identification for Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKit

Technical User
Jun 13, 2007
CA
I have an application which processes incoming attachments from Outlook, does "our thing" in the Access program, and then saves the attachments into a archive directory. The directory name that the documents get stored to is predetermined by the user.

When I store the documents to the archive directory, I do it by the name of the directory. So "save the file" to "the directory the user set up before".

All works well until a user renames a directory. Then the access program can no longer find the directory because the name has changed.

Can anyone tell me if Windows had some type of folder identifications that is consistent regardless of what the name of the folder is?

And, if so, how do I access it? Is it through filesystemobject?

Thanks for your help.

Not a direct answer.

Why not have the app create the folder if it does not exist, along with a B I G notification (*msgbox??) to the user. It then would be their (the user's) responsability to reconcile the issue. I can see an advantage, in that user(s) might want to maintain some hirearchy (year-month recevied?) in the messages.

MichaelRed

That might be the most direct root. I thought of that. However, as many users tend to be that you develop for, it is a small business with zero computer savvy. I was hoping to automate it if I could.

Thanks for the second opinion on this. I am suspecting that this is the route that I will be going.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back