Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows File Server Monthly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outsyder

MIS
Jul 20, 2005
CA
Hi guys.

How do you deal with monthly backups of a Windows File Server? Which contains tons of files...Do you generate a backupset? Create an archive? What is the best procedure?

Thanks.

Depends on the retention, number of versions kept, etc... The problem with a monthly archive of a server that has millions of files with a long retentions (only one version kept in an archive) is that the TSM DB will get huge...

Backupsets are means manually tracking - and the restores are difficult.

So if you have more info on the requirements.. may help get you a better answer...

Thanks for the answer.
Here is a bit more info. We run a library 3584 with 7 LTO2 drives. The monthly backup of the file server is required to be kept 7 years. It contains about 3 millions files or so...
As of right now, a backupset of this server takes about 2 whole days to complete. It is a bit much...but is there another way? Archiving would drive my DB through the roof...

I though about doing 'multiple' backupsets of that server by doing one backupsets per file space, but my Windows Admin is using a single file space. A huge chunk of space from the SAN...

Unless i am mistaken, those are the only 2 real alternative i have available right now?

thanks.

Unfortunately there is no other solution.. I had the same issue. To speed up the backupsets tho, try setting up colocation on the storage pool. What that will do is amalgamate all the incremental backups for a server on to one tape (or 2 or 3..) as necessary.

As the incrementals build up over the period of a month, the "active" files end up getting placed on tons of tapes. The majority of the time is spent finding a file here, a file there on all the tapes.

The downside to using colocation is that you will burn through more scratches.

Another thing you may look into is an image backup. I haven't played much with that, but it might be worth looking into...

I recently (last week) started over again with TSM 5.3 and a new TBM3576 library with 3 LTO3 tapes.

We have a big file-server with 6.000.000 files representing 1TB data.

I started a (full) incremental friday and now (saterdaynight) it's almost there.

I'm planning on taking an image of the volume where the files are, I keep you posted.

Ivor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back