Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows File Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

techkate

Programmer
Feb 23, 2004
US
I'm using Wise for Windows Installer version 4.2. Is there a way to work around the error-type messages that appear when I try to replace a protected file? What I'm having a difficulty with is that the files that are protected don't seem to be consistent across all machines of the same OS. One XP machine might stop on a certain file, where another will not.

Or, if no adequate solution can be found, is there a list of files protected by windows file protection? I'm assuming this can vary by operating system? I'm really only concerned w/ Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Thanks.

Try out the following:

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: SFCDisable
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: 0 = enabled (default), ffffff9d = disabled

Once you set the value as ffffff9 u might be able to install files as this disables windows file protection. But remember to change the value of the registry back to 0, so that windows file protection is set back to normal value.

Cheers...[idea]

Saurabh Kumar, HP GDIC, Bangalore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back