Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows File Protection Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

keven

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2002
US
I'm completely frustrated right now! I'm trying to install MS Project 2000 on a windows 2000 computer through the local CDROM drive. Windows File Protection keeps popping up asking me to insert the Windows 2000 SP3 CD because it cannot find the path to the "DLL Cache". Which it is showing \\CompanyServer\Installs\. This UNC Path is where I keep our Windows2K SP3 files. However, it cannot find it.

This started happening ever since i migrated our network From SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000. Does SBS 2000 somehow change the path the the "DLLCache" ??? I've never had this problem before. I found one fix online where you change the Security Policy from "Resctrict Access to CDROM to locally logged on users only" from enable to disable, well, it allready was disabled so that didn't help.

I hope someone understands this post, if not please forgive me.

Thanks

Keven

Hello, Keven,

Please, unpack the SP3 files to local drive. Launch update .exe once again. It will solve your problem.
P.S. always install SP3 from the local source because each time you install something system related to w2k , OS takes those files , that the new software are trying to replace during installation, not from the software source path , but from the SP3 files.

Good Luck.

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back