Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows File Protection at startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
US
I keep getting this when I boot up in Win2K Pro.
I am asked to insert the CD-ROM so Winders may extract some .dll's. I do this, it seems to copy over fine however, when I restart the machine it is the same thing all over agian.

Anyone else ever see this?

check this key in your Register :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

see if it contains anything related to your problem ; Windows Command to check for upgrade or to repair ! Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Nothing there except for the IMAIL, MAPI, and MSFS keys.
No refference to upgrade or repair. I'm not going to pretend to know much about the registry, each key contains a subkey REG_SZ and the value is 1. If that tells you anything worth mentioning.

Thank you.

Problem Solved!

I finaly got off my lazy duff and checked the Windows help files, low and behold!
It was the System File Checker (sfc.exe), it kept running at startup. I have no idea how it got started since I didn't even know about it until now.

Thank you Netwalker1 for your reply.
It was not for naught because I think I now know how our work comps have Internet Explorer opening at startup.
It's a stupid policy that certain people are supposed to check the intranet homepage for updates, it's not applicable to all, and is a nuciance to most.

BillieWhiskers ,,
I was thinking of this , so I asked you to check the Run in Registry ,, Because this responsible for the programs which start at booting ,,
Anyway ,, it's good to hear that you solved the problem :) Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back