Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows File \ Exchange Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaMale

MIS
Aug 14, 2001
ZA
We had Backup Exec 9.1 installed backing up our Windows + Exchange + SQL servers.
We aquired some Linux RH ES servers, and consequently dropped Backup Exec and went the Netbackup route.

From what I understand, one cannot backup everything in one go, like with Backup Exec? To backup files, you must have a Windows-NT policy, for Exchange an Exchange policy etc. etc?
Am I right in assuming that for each policy you need seperate tapes?

You can pull tapes from the same Volume Pool if you want but it is not recommended. I recommend keeping filesystem backups together, exchange stores and mailbox's together, and SQL data together. You do not need a different Volume Pool for Unix/Linux data, you can use the same pool you backup your Windows stuff in.

I create a single volume pool for each media server AND I also follow comtec17's recommendation. I have a SSO environment with a lot of media servers and since each media server "owns" its pool of tapes, I have found it easier to keep track of the tapes that a media server owns by using the media server name as the volume pool. ie
server1
server1_SQL
server1_ME
NetBackup automatically takes care of populating the pools so it doesn't add any complications to use this naming convention. Also I am not using extra tapes because the media server owns its tapes and wouldn't share them even if the pool name was the same.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

Thanks comtec17 and Stumpr

What I basically want is for the backup operator to open the tape library at night, insert 3 tapes, close the library and go home. He has no access to the admin console. I really don't want to overcomplicate things for him (if you know what I mean? :)
I have now discovered that you can backup [append] all the different policies one after the other to the same pool.

I understand that it is better to have seperate pools for each policy type, but I will config that once I get to know the product better and I have more time. For now it is a full backup with no complications.

Thanks for the help guys.

ahh...
I assumed you had a library with a robot instead of a tape operator. I agree not to complicate matters. However, I would still use the name of the server as the name of the volume pool since NetBackup does not allow sharing of a tape between media servers. That way the operator won't accidently place a media that is owned by server1 into a tape on server2. I would forget about the application attachment to the pool name.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back