Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer's right pane is missing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxx

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2000
CA
Anyone have an idea why all of the sudden the right pane on my Windows Explorer went missing? I am also unable to switch from Large Icon view, to Small Icon view, to List or to Detail view. As far as I can remember, I went directly to an internet web page from Windows Explorer. Then I closed all windows when I was finished. When I opened Windows Explorer again, only the left pane displayed. I tried to reset the Windows Explorer properly, but I had been unsuccessful so far. Would appreciate the help.

I have absolutely no idea what kind of juju your PC attracted. Have you tried enabling the Explorer toolbar so that you can change the icon views? Is Windows on a whole acting weird in anyway at all? Explorer is the shell for Win9x and WinME (in case you didn't know). Try extracting the Explorer.EXE and any files carrying the same name to your Windows folder and see if that changes anything.

Sorry...there is no Explorer bar option given in View menu. I do get the Explorer bar when I view an internet web page, but it does not show the Folder option. The PC is on Win95 with Explorer 5.5 browser if that helps at all. Thanks again.

I have just encountered this exact same problem. I am on NT4.0 SP6a. I have checked every possible place I can find. The Registry Folders class specifies that the right pane should be displayed. The command line "Explorer /e" does not cause the right pane to display. I found nothing on the MS KnowledgeBase. I was at SP4 when this problem occurred and installed SP6a to see if that fixed it. It did not. Did you ever find a fix? Thx.

I've had the same thing happen on a couple compaqs with Win95. The way around it was going through the My Computer, C:drive etc, that way I could see it. Miraculously the right side returned on one of the computers, but I am not sure what I did to get that result....

In searching for a solution, I found evidence that this is a somewhat common problem, that nobody seems to know how to fix. The start of the problem seems to be associated with some action in Internet Eplorer while viewing files (not a web page). The "missing" right pane is actually compressed all the way to the right. To get it back, maximize the Explorer window, move your cursor all the way to the right until it turns into a double-arrow, then drag it to the left. You must maximize the window to get rid of the window border, just dragging the border to the maximum screen width will not work...you can't get to the hidden vertical separator that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back