Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2003
AU
I have a 50GB collection of files that have repeated due to a previous management issue.

What I want to do is find all copies of a file (ie a word file), and replace all the duplicates with a shortcut to the original instance of the file

This will preserve the directory structure, but massively reduce the archive.

Automation would be a help

Any ideas

I've got a small app I wrote in M$ Access that records into a table all files in a given directory & all subdirectories, records the filename & directory, and easily can record the filesize as well. So from there it's not so bad to manipulate it to create commands to automatically delete duplicates and replace them with a link file. I'll probably leave the vb code as is, not completing your specific job.

Post your e-mail address and I'll forward this work to you, it's a good start at the minimum.

To Dakota81,

Thanks for your reply, it sounds very interesting. You can contact me at tony.haigh@fujitsu.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back