Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows explorer window opens 4 times upon startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gump1976

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
US
Hello. I've had this problem for some time now and I can't remember when it started but I've finally gotten fed up with it and could use some assistance in fixing it. When I start Windows 2000 professional, my desktop loads, then immediately 4 windows explorer windows open up. I close all 4 windows and then do my thing, no problem, but I can't figure out why they open up. Please help. Thank you.

This occurs when you shut down your computer while those 4 windows were opened, which is why these 4 windows keeps popping up. If you do not recall having 4 windows popping up, maybe due to a black out or anything, then check your start up folder. I am still trying to figure out how to stop it, but I think you can try going to safe mode first, and then do a clean shut down without any windows or program running.

I Hate Spammers and Flammers!!!

ok, i tried restarting my computer in safe mode, then restarting normally, but the 4 Windows Explorer windows continue to pop up. I always make sure everything is closed before i turn the pc off. Say what if i had 4 windows explorer boxes open, and then there was a power failure, would those boxes come up when i next restarted the pc? oh also, when i booted into safe mode, the windows explorer windows did not come up, it booted normally.

Well, most of the time when there is a shut down failure while the windows are opened, the next start up will have pop ups. This has happened to me many times, but still not sure how I got rid of these pop-up windows.

I Hate Spammers and Flammers!!!

gump1976,

From memory, take a look in

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell.

There should only be one instance of Explorer.exe.

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Ah ha! It's fixed! I looked in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell and there was only one instance of explorer.exe there. Then I decided to do a search in the registry for "explorer.exe". This eventually led me to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, where I found 4 instances of explorer.exe! Deleted them, rebooted. Fixed. thank you for guiding me to the registry, knew it had to be something in there. take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back