Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer Terminates when MP3s are in Dir 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

xandroid

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2000
US
That's it. All I have to do is call up a directory with MP3 files and windows explorer will terminate. I am using Windows XP home on a 2.4 Pentium 4 notbook with 256meg ram, 512 cache, 64 separate video, 40 gigs disk. SP1 applied. I believe it is windows explorer version 6 something.

When I got the PC it did not happend. It seemed to correspond with one of those automatic system upgrades I allow. In the WINME and WIN98 days I learned those updates just caused me more harm than good. But I am trying to be good. There is another possibility and that is that a disk cleanup program deleted something that I didn't notice. I always check them and if there is any doubt about a file I keep it. But the trouble is I successfully reinstalled windows explorer. I know your not a suppose to be able to but I actually got a procedure from microsoft to do it. Microsoft and the vendor where I got the computer have been worthless as far as help goes. I know the MP3 files are AOK. Positive. It only happens with MP3 files. I can access the files using a different file browser just fine. I can play them. But if I use a player that accesses the detail MP3 file it will terminate just like explorer does, same message. I think these routines are just using explorer.

Actually Windows Explorer doean't terminate, it pops up a window that says it needs to but offers no reason. You can actually move the msg window asside and go ahead and use explorer, move files delete them. but if you try something with an MP3 it will die, just the same it offers you two buttons in the window to send the error to microsoft or not. Hitting either of those will terminate explorer.

I'm afraid to reinstall windows xp. I had to do that on my previous PC and the image cd was bad some how and screwed up my PC so bad I had yo have it sent in to be fixed. And what about all those updates that have been applied, that's a ton of work. Not to mention my own software that would have to be reinstalled. There ought to be a specific reason. A fix. I searched and could not find anything.

Getting support from Microsoft is appalling.

I could use some help here.

It sure does sound like corrupt files causing this. Are there any other file types in this directory?

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched. That said, if you have SP1 on CD or the file download saved somewhere, use that for most of your updates, and you should only have to re-install about 20 later updates.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

If filechk and chkdsk don't fix it, why not Restore to before the occurrence? or uninstall (one by one) Windows updates?

For one thing, I do not trust the restore. No way.
Guess I am gun shy after WinME and it's restore that never worked. That's not a real solution anyway. A real solution would not just say well w don't know what to fix so just got back to the time before it happened. A real solution would understand why it it is just MP3 files, what could be the root cause of that and then have some idea of what was changed or where to look.

The files are fine. What's all this talk of chkdisk and all.
I can play the files, move them to another machine with out presenting any problem there. I can use a different file browser other than windows explore with the files just fine. The files are not from a single source or any similar time frame, their not in the same directory or even the samedisk drive. The only thing in common with them is that they are MP3 files. All this talk of disk issues is barking up the wrong tree. I guess I didn't explain enough when I said the files were fine.

It's some other reason.

This workaround works for corrupted AVI files why don't you try it for corrupted MP3 files.

A suggested workaround: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to
the key below and delete the default data (right pane).

For AVI's

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avishellex\PropertyHandler

For MP3's

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3\shellex\PropertyHandler

Note: Make a backup of each key before editing.

Or see if you can apply this to MP3's
Select a file - windows stops.
thread779-422825

Well, try this, it's a long shot, and it didn't involve MP3's, but here goes. I work for a/the large(st) PC company, and get strange calls every now and again. One involved a high-end workstation that had a problem that existed across HDD replacement, motherboard replacment, CPU replacement, RAM replacement, and system replacement(yeah, you read that right) Every single time this guy opened Explorer and went to browse some old photoshop files he copied over to his system from an external HDD, he would get errors and explorer.exe would crash. Eventually, I had him open My Computer, hit Tools > Folder Options > File Types and deleted the file association for the photo shop files(.pst? I don't remember, it's late) and rebuilt them using the newer version of photoshop he had. BOOM! No more problems. Perhaps similar results could be achieved removing the association for MP3 and having whatever software you use reassociate it. James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician

Thanks everyone. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to help.

linney - your first post offers me some good places to look for possibly some better support from Mircosoft - Thanks

linney - I think you AVI idea is a long shot but hey it's a strange problem too. So I may give it a go. And I want to check my registry entry. Thanks.

bullhlms - I don't trust or run microsofts restore, have read too much about it not working - so it is turned off. I am also very apprehensive about restoring with the CD I have been given. For one thing I have been bit bad doing that once before - The disk they gave me was bad and it messed me up royally. I might have to do it in the end but don't mention it so casusally do you realize the work I have to go through to get all the correct drivers. Microsoft treats us like we are all stupid fools.

sykotik - I was thinking something alone those lines myself
especially since it is limited to just the one type. Thanks

I have one more solution that I know will work. Switch back over to being a Macintosh User. I was a Mac user until they screwed me big time on the Performa series. Man was I angry at how I was sold a bill of goods, expensive too. But now I wouldn't mind having a duel G4 machine or even a Hostess Snowball. :)

FYI

It has start to happen when I am in email or browsing now, so it has moved beyond just MP3 files. It's happening more frequently and I can not distinguish any pattern. The error message give you no clue at all, just says "Oh well I must terminate". I am thinking about doing an update in place, but not a cold start.

I tell ya PCs are a love hate proposition.

I have a new award or distinction for Bill Gates.

Do you realize he is without doubt responsible for more wasted time spent by more people than any man in all of history. The amount of time I am taking about is immense.
It's not funny, thing of what portion of your life is wasted because he ships products before they are adequately tested. He ships them knowing they have problems and doesn't think a darn about how much trouble they cause us. Let me site the release of windows 2000 without drivers. See he couldn't wait to get his money streaming in. I'm waiting for the day Lindows become robust.

Cheers,

Andy

xandroid, I appreciate your reply. The restore (start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore)I am referring to does NOT use the CD, and does not require installation of drivers except those installed since the "restore point" was created, which usually happens automatically when a significant change (such as installing a new program)occurs, but can be manually created.
Re: "Restore CD" Whole different animal. BTW when I contacted Compaq (which I have) they sent me a "Restore CD" gratis.

There is an issue with explorer.exe reading the header contents of multimedia files. When you open a directory containing these types of files, the header information is read and displayed in the explorer status bar area (lower left of window). You may have a malicious MP3 file with compromised header information

There is a patch available here:

bullhlms - I am not sure if I have that restore on or off, I suspect it is off. I have no faith in it. I was a WinMe user. I would have restore a long way back. And I'm not sure what point, sometime around July or August - can't be sure I have those files.

TekKnowGeek - I don't believe there is anything wrong with thesefiles. They come from a variety of sources, at completely different timeframes, they are in several different directories totally in different trees. I can more them to other machines and have no problem. I can play every singleone of them. But never the less I give what you suggest a try. I hope it doesn't mess them up.

Thanks.

I fixed it in the same way sykotik fixed his photoshop problems. I went into folder options types and deleted any reference to the extension .MPP3. The I created the entry for MP3 and referenced it to some common player. The problem was solved imediately.

Thanks everyone for your help and susggestions
I know how valuable time is and I am most gratefull
you spent some time to help me. Thanks Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back