Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer SLOW 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafe

Technical User
Aug 18, 2000
US
Hi,

My windows explorer on a Win98 system slows to a crawl. It can take over a min to move to a new directory. It's just explorer.

The symptoms snowball after entering a directory w/ about 30-40 (it's at home now) subfolders and 2 to 3 other files. Each subdir has about 10 to 50 files in it... nothing outrageous

I've tried Defrag.
I've tried turning off the virus protection (I'll update Norton soon)... just in case
I've tried reinstalling Win98
I've tried moving the directories... just delays the symptoms
I've tried a few other things that I forget just now...
I'm about to try Linux ;-)

Any ideas? Maybe WinExplorer uses a cache I could flush or something?

How much RAM do you have? Do you let windows manage your swap file? If you have 64 to 128 meg of RAM you can Input this in your System.ini file.
Chunksize=512
MinFileCache=8192
MaxFileCache=8192

I am guessing on this. I am not sure what is causing the problem. When you do a system properties (right click on my computer and go to properties) and go to Performance are any drives using MSDOS compatability mode?

butchrecon & dball63,

Back at home & w/ the problem computer...

I tried the system.ini change & well... it helped some but not a whole lot.

C: has 7.85GB w/ 2.65GB free.

I'll keep chugging away at this end too... gotta learn... but I do appreciate your help.

thanks

You say these things delayed the symptoms and moving the dir. delay the symptems. What do you mean by that?
It works OK for a while and then starts acting up or is it always the same?

Can you move that directory structure??? the deep one, offline somewhere to a zip or another drive other than system drive to see if the problem is really related to those dir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back