Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
I have experienced this problem with the same computer before. It would then go away mysteriously.

When I try to create a new folder, Windows Explorer says it has encountered a problem and must close.

This is a Windows XP 2 computer, with around a half million files.

At this moment I can't create new folders.

Any ideas?

Re-boot. I've had the same problem for ages it seems like. Don't know why it goes away. It would be easier if it stayed around long enough to find a solution. Running Windows 2000 pro here. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848

Several re-boots later, no joy. But, I know it will go away sometime soon...

I'll keep looking.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

Have you tried to running sfc /scannow from the command prompt to see if any of your system files are corrupt? Just a thought.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

>Have you tried to running sfc /scannow from the command prompt to see if any of your system files are corrupt?

Yes, I ran it. It asked to insert my XP disk, which I did. But, the problem continues. In the past, the problem would go away (all by the itself) after a few hours.

Have you gotten to the point where you may want to do a new install? Don't delete anything, just re-install over the top.

Glen A. Johnson

Does the problem occur under a different login? Does it occur in the safe mode? Have you checked event viewer for errors? Have you tried reinstalling SP2? Did you try creating a directory from a command line? (Run/CMD md test, cd test)

I'll let you know soon, NOktar & Glen. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back