Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows explorer not searching 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRoad

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
US
My Windows Explorer (WinME) has recently quit Searching. If I open Explorer, click on Search in the toolbar, it opens automatically in "My Docs" and if I try to do a search, first it says "::\ is not accessible. The specified path is invalid." I click OK and it says " '{ [long string of numers and letters]}' is not a valid folder." If I then navigate to the root directory of my computer (or any directory) and look for, for example *.tax (which I know exist) or a specific file name (that I know exists) and click Search Now (with advanced options selected with Search Subfolders selected), nothing happens except that the button is obviously clicked (the Search Now button dims momentarily) but there is no search.

I have tried to find information using google and the windows knowledge base, but all I have found is for INTERNET explorer. I even "repaired" Internet Explorer that someone said to do but it didn't help.

I have installed some programs lately, but no major changes to my operating system. I don't know when this started because I don't use the search option very often.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Yes, TweakUI was one of the programs. Did I inadvertently set it to ignore searching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back