Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer GPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickIRL

Programmer
Jun 25, 2003
I'm having a probelm with Windows Explorer, every now and then when I open it up and browse to a directory (any directory) it comes up with a GPF. The screen goes blank, all I can see is the background, then everthing comes back as it was, without explorer.

It's not earth-shattering, just annoying when it happens, anyone got any ideas??

Using XP-Pro SP1 (installed SP2, DEE-SAS-TER!, uninstalled, rapid!!)

Thanks in advance, Patrick

Check Event Viewer (Start, Run, eventvwr.msc) to find the specific error message from Explorer, and post it back here.

You would likely benefit by doing a malware check/cleanup as detailed in faq608-4650

A few things to try.

Removing adware & spyware
FAQ608-4650

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.
Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Will do ASAP, thanks for the feedback.
FYI: I have ZoneAlarm pro, Spybot and Pestpatrol running (not sure if I need any more !!)

Thanks, Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back