Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer Default Folder Expand

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaB

Programmer
Apr 23, 2001
AU
Hi,

I've been searching TekTips to try and make Windows Explorer start with certain folders expanded. I found a reference to an article that explains how to do it:
However, I cannot work out how to do this for the Explorer that opens when I right-click on the Start Menu. Does anyone know how to bring up the Properties for this, or where it points to?

Also, does anyone know of a way to expand more than one folder. At the moment I am just using:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:\ReportDev

But I also want to expand c:\Database

Thanks in advance for your help.
Donna.

If you check the spelling of "Explore" on the Start Button right click you will see it is not "ExploreR". This is a hard coded link to the Users/ Start Menu folder.

How to setup Windows Explorer Default Folder?
thread779-446631

Thanks Linney,

That answers my questions about right-clicking the start menu. (I guess this cannot be changed... )

However, since I use Explorer every day and I don't want to have to go through the start menu.

What about the Explorer that appears when I press the windows key and 'e'. Do you know how I can customise this view of Explorer?

Thanks again,
Donna.

Did you have time to read the link to Thread779-446631?

You could make your own shortcut to the Explore.exe in the Windows folder. Place this shortcut where you want and amend the target box of the shortcut properties with the relevant explorer switches.

Not sure how or if it is possible to bring two Explorer windows up at once via the target box. Perhaps seperating the switches and addresses by a comma or something (I don't know, never tried it).

What about using the Shortcut Wizard to make two or three shortcuts on the desktop for Explorer. Each would have the folder properties you want.

Then if you are in a full-screen application, just right click a blank area and Show the desktop, pick your explorer view. Your running application would be in the Task Bar.

Or even better, one of the nicer free Powertoys from Microsoft is their virtual Desktop Manager applet. This puts 4 little button icons near the notification try. You can therefore have 4 virtual desktop views available with just a click. So your running application is on button #1, and you want to use explorer. Just click #2, or #3, etc. and run the custom shortcuts described above. Then just click the #1 button to restore your application view.

Very cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back