Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer crashs

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryz28

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
US
Can anyone help with a problem in my windows 98 Explorer. Every time I try to rename a folder, or copy a folder, it tells me Explorer performed an illegal function "EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:0046eb9d.&quot; and will shutdown. Then it tells me that Internet Explorer has had an error and I should reboot. This all started to happen after loading Norton System Works. I have removed it and used &quot;go back&quot; to put my hard drive back to the state before loading norton. But it has not helped. Also went back to a previous version of the registry.

I would try either removing application via add/remove or system works un-install program.

If that doesn't work

reinstall software again, then add/ remove again.

Let us know!

Hi,Since the program was already uninstalled via &quot;go back&quot;. I reinstalled it, which gave me an error at the end of install( it was in invaled page fault) and it could not uninstall all of the program when using the uninstall feature becasue it could not find the required files to do so. So I had to use Go Back again.
Thanks

try and install the latest IE. (5.5?) Or if you already have IE5.5 then try reinstalling that. Or run some of the SPs from the Microsoft web site for IE5.5.

Hi Klae,
I am currently running IE 5.5 SP1. What do your mean by running some of the SP's from Microsoft website? What does the SP mean? I could not find enough information at Microsoft. Thanks, Larry

SP = Service Pack
But I still wouldn't try to fix a problem with a service pack or installing updated IE software when he know's what the cause is. Its system works.

I'm not to sure where you should go from here other than making sure to totally remove the programs files and registry entries. Maybe Symantic website could help you??

Sorry I coulnd't be more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back