Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer Acting Funny 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rello

Technical User
Oct 25, 2001
CA
Hi There

I have a strange problem with Windows Explorer. Running 98SE and the left pane where I normally shows the Folders list , it is greyed out. If I go to view > explorer bar and select folders, it gives me anything but folders on the left pane. I have tried resetting the defaults under "folder options" and tried resetting "customize this folder".
Could it be a virusssss.

Your problem is in the registry so running SFC won't fix it. Try this. Copy and paste what's in bold below into Notepad then save it as ExplorerFix.reg or whatever name you want but give it a .reg extension. Then find that reg file and doubleclick on it and merge it. Then restart the computer and see if it's fixed. It should be. Note: I've been told this reg file is not for use if you have Internet Explorer 5.5.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]
@="Explorer Band"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SHDOCVW.DLL"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\Implemented Categories]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}\Implemented Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

Well, I would've been spinning my wheels, wouldn't I? (sometimes happens)
By the way, Rello, I've been around here awhile (but not in awhile) and have seen Kento post regfixes for other folks...I'd trust it, myself!

Hey Kento

Thanks for the advice. Your right SFC didn't resolve the issue. Can you be a little more specific when you say "Then find that reg file and doubleclick on it and merge it." Not really sure how to do this. This is my first crack at editing the registry.

Thanks and Take Care

Hi Rello,
Kento's instuctions were to copy/paste the bold text he provided into notepad, then save it with the name "explorerfix.reg". Once you've created this file, just doubleclick on it, and it will give you a message like "successfully imported data into the registy". Reboot and see if it's fixed.

Worked like a charm!!!

Thanks Kento for the assistance - much appreciated. Thanks for the slap on the head crisc - I needed that!

Take Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back