Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows explore error messgage that read: Must be terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

muz

Technical User
Mar 19, 2001
US
I was unable to run an updated version of Norton Anti-Virus for about a year. Lately i have been recieving an error message ( __________ program must be terminated because of an error............. would you like to report this error) upon booting up for may Windows programs such as Windows explorer!, and other needed programs. After this i finally was able to update my anti-virus. When i ran the updated verison there were 50 infected files, most of which were infected with a worm. I was able to delete or quarantine all of the files; however i still recieve the error messages again and i can not run notepad.exe. I have also tried to defrag.

Run the Trend Micro and Panda online AV scans from smah's FAQ: FAQ760-3862

You might as well go the whole hog and do these too.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back