Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows error message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hello,
One of my friends has run into a computer problem that i can not seem to solve... Whenever he is connected to the net he repeatedly gets a failed DLL error message. I have tracked the error down as to being a part of his Yahoo software that comes with his DSL. Would reinstalling the Yahoo software over his existing software do the trick?

I'd really hate to screw this up for my frined
Shane

Have you tried either reregistering this Dll or/and replacing it?

Run the following from start/run: Press OK after entry.

regsvr32 (The Name Of).dll

To replace the Dll see the Expand button in MsConfig Window.

You can if you like post the exact error message here, or contact any Yahoo Support section.

You can try reinstalling the Yahoo software, and if you don't like the result, use System Restore to step back in time.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with this Dll.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If the Dll is a windows XP file (as opposed to a special Yahoo file).

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If SFC doesn't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I do not know specificly about Yahoo, but most DSL software is not intended to be used with XP. XP has its own native PPoE capable DSL "dialer" and authentication method, and does not require additional software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back