Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows detects soundcard but no sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

usalabs3

Technical User
Sep 7, 2004
US
After checking the device manager for no conflicts, and windows showing no errors on the device, there still is no playback device available in the 'Sound Playback and Recording' section in 'Sound and Audio Devices', but windows shows 'Device is working properly'

Did the sound card ever work right? Was there a problem? Is this just a new device?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

it worked fine, upuntil I updated the video card driver, I even uninstalled the driver, to revert back to the default driver, and still no playback devices found.

The sound system is an AC97 soundmax.

Device manager shows it as the above device with no problems, but it only shows the device as a 'SoundMAX ac97 digital audio device' and no other devices listed in the audio section, not even an MPU 401 device.

The 'Audio' section in the 'Sound and Audio' part, shows no playback devices detected, the properties of the audio device in the device manager allows the device not to be mapped (Allow mapping through this device is checked), and a setting to enable or disable the SPid digital connection, there are no conflicts of the device, the dive shows no conflicts with the i/o and irq, the device status shows 'This device is working properly' and device useage shows 'Use this device (enabled)'

Run the setup off your drivers disk, if its integrated into the motherboard, you'll launch the setup off your motherboard cd. Reinstall the sound drivers.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back