Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Defragmenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrigh

Technical User
Aug 9, 2001
GB
Hi

I have a Win98 machine which is running particularly slowly. I've narrowed this down to lack of memory - but during my diagnosis, thought I'd run some standard maintenance procedures as a matter of course.

I have problems when trying to run Disk Defragmenter. I've ensured there's nothing running that doesn't need to be - virus scanners shut down, no screen saver switched on etc. Trouble is, Disk Defragmenter keeps detecting that "Contents of disk have changed" - and restarts itself. It rarely moves from 0% completed (though very occasionally jumps from 0% to 5% before restarting itself).

I've run a thorough scandisk (including surface scan) and there are no problems reported - so I don't know why this should be. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Pete

If you are to do a control+alt+delete and view all of the programs that are running, you might find something running that you were unaware of (such as the systray) I do not know what all software you have on your machine but this has worked for me on a number of occasions and on a variety of machines

Copy this into notepad and save as runonce.reg.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx]
"Flags"=dword:00000003
"Title"="Defrag at Startup"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\Defrag]
"Cmd"="||DEFRAG.EXE /ALL"

Double click on the reg file to import it into your registry and reboot. Defrag will come up before anything else and run.

Patrick

Pete,

Close all tray applications and hit Alt_Ctl_Del and end task on all items except for explorer and systray, then run scandisk, then defrag.

Then right-click on the desktop, choose properties, click the Screen saver tab and choose "None:"

Now give it a try.

Also, go to upgrade Internet Explorer, then go back and download all Critical Updates.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back