Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows defender service is not listed in services in vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakshmi21

Technical User
Jan 5, 2007
IN
hi

I tried to uninstall the windows defender from my new vista PC and i did something i am really now sure what i did.

Now i want to use the windows defender when i try to start from control panel i got a message "Application fail to initialise"

I tried to start the windows defender service from the service.msc but unable to locate the "windefend service" i am sure that i haven't uninstall but since its a component of windows vista how come the service was not listed.

I think i totally screwed my computer. I am trying to find the resolution for the past one week. Can anyone please help me with that

As Windows Defender is an intricate part of Vista, and troublesome, if not impossible to uninstall, you may have damaged the system beyond normal recovery. In hindsight you should have just Disabled Defender.

You can try these options and see if the repair is successful.

If you have System Restore points then using that may be an option.

You could try the System File Checker program.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

Installing and reinstalling Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back