Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Data File Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceh4702

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
US
I need a data file viewer that works in Windows XP.

I have a file that is large (12 Megs), and it has a record of size 2450 characters. It is all in text, no packed data or tricky data types. I am looking for a viewer that will let me view the file in a fixed length format like Courier and will show me at what row and colum I am at without splitting up the records or doing any word wrap.

I can open it in text editor, but it slplits up the lines. This is really annoying. I can open it in wordpad, but it will not show me my position in the file.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

There is a DOS shareware program called LIST that will do everything you want except for the file size. I someone knows of a Windows version of that program, it would do the trick.

I dont know what I was thinking when I posted this. I just uploaded the File Transfer Area on the mainframe and used the display to go to the specified point. I think this will work best. I think I saw a program called TEXTBOX but that was a unix program I think.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

For use on a PC, V - the file viewer, can view unlimited file sizes - I've had several GIG files. You can set the records size, view in EBCDIC, ASCII or HEX. You can view the end of a 4 gig file in seconds. No editing - but a great file viewer. Try fileviewer.com. I had used LIST in the DOS days, but this is much faster and handles files of ALL sizes.

Try editpad lite or textpad in a search engine.
These will do what you want.
Enjoy Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back